McStennis 50th Anniversary
Some of these files are .PDF files. They can be viewed by using the free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
The McIntire-Stennis (M-S) Cooperative Forestry Research Program has provided fundamental support for creating and strengthening forestry research and graduate training efforts at colleges and universities across the nation for nearly 50 years. M-S funding has helped produce thousands of forestry scientists and other research professionals, and M-S-supported research has provided critical basic understanding and applied solutions to extend the benefits that flow from forests and related rangelands across the nation over time. The 1962 legislation that created the M-S program authorized funding of up to one-half of the funds appropriated for federal forestry research conducted directly by the USDA. Throughout the program's history, however, M-S appropriations have been far below the authorized level. In 2012, the M-S program's 50th anniversary will be celebrated. Congress and the President therefore have a truly significant "golden anniversary" opportunity to strengthen the nation's investment in research and training that represents an essential and powerful "driving force behind progress" in sustaining forests for ecological, economic, and social benefits for present and future generations.
Universities interested in obtaining portions of the video to customize for their program may contact Steve Bullard
- A "Driving Force" in Developing the Nation's Forests: The McIntire-Stennis Cooperative Forestry Research Program
- The Driving Force of Sustainable Forestry (50th anniversary brochure)
- History and evaluation of the McIntire-Stennis Cooperative
Forestry Research Program
- McIntire-Stennis 50th anniversary brochure
Previous McStennis Work
- McIntire-Stennis Strategic Plan
- McIntire-Stennis Planning
- McIntire-Stennis Funding Options
- Principles for a Cooperative McIntire-Stennis Cooperative Forestry Research Program
- McIntire-Stennis Research Agenda